Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Books That Make You Laugh

If books that make you cry can actually increase happiness (as we talked about a couple of weeks ago--check out this link), what about books that make you laugh? That should go without saying.

The same Health Magazine article I mentioned in the previous post highlighted a study done at the University of Kansas which indicated that simply grinning can actually slow down your heart rate when you are stressed. Good news to all of us who enjoy smiling and a good laugh!

I love a good book that can make me laugh no matter where I am, don't you?

There are so many books that have made me smile and even laugh, it is impossible to list them all. Here are just a few books off the top of my head that come to mind (and please do share any books with good clean humor that you have enjoyed in the comments section!):

BLUE EYES AND OTHER TEENAGE HAZARDS (I always laugh while reading one of Janette's!)
CRUSH CONTROL (Jennifer is hilarious! I laughed so hard.)
HARRY POTTER (That Ronald Weasley. Gets me every time.)

THE HELP (Who else chuckled at Minnie Jackson and her attitude? I love Minni.)
PARANORMALCY (The overall voice of Evie is great. Found myself giggling at different parts throughout the entire book.)
MY DOUBLE LIFE (another great one by Janette)

Honey, Baby, Sweetheart
HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN (These two Harry Potter's stood out to me in the series. SO good.)
WHEN THE BOUGH BREAKS (This book by KayLynn is actually a tearjerker, but I remember a scene or two that made me laugh!)
DEAD RUNNING (I enjoyed seeing Cami's personality shine through in this humorous romantic suspense.)
Deb Caletti voice in HONEY, BABY, SWEETHEART has a fun, humorous tone. I found myself laughing several times!

Books that make my kids and I laugh together:

WHAT THE LADYBUG HEARD (SO cute)
FROG AND TOAD (my husband was rolling in laughter the other night during bedtime stories)
THE BEARS' PICNIC (I laughed when I was child and now my kids are laughing too!)
CURIOUS GEORGE (or "Monkey George" as my kids call him. That little monkey is always up to something.)

And thanks again to my Facebook friends for coming through for me with this list of books that have made them laugh (click on the title to read more about each book on goodreads.com):

Adult novels by author Shannon Hale

Also, check out THIS POST by my friend Britney Gulbrandsen for her Top Seven Funniest Children's Books for Adults!

Now, are you ready for a good laugh? Good. I am. And be sure to let me know about the next good book that makes you laugh.

Article mentioned: "9 Way to Go on a Bliss Trip" in Health Magazine

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for including Dead Running on your list! For my little ones Junie B. Jones is an absolute favorite and I thought Rachael Anderson's The Reluctant Bachelorette was very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You deserve it! Thanks for adding to my list, Cami; I'll check them out on Goodreads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your comments about laughing are absolutely true. Laughing releases chemicals in your brain that make you feel better. In fact, your brain doesn't know the difference between real laughter and fake laughing. So if you're feeling down, you can fake laugh your way to a better state. There are clubs all over the country where people go to just laugh. Seriously, laughing clubs, ha. Laughter, it's a good thing. Great list. Great post, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your thoughts on fake laughing! I totally agree. :) Might as well laugh. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete