Wednesday, October 17, 2012

My October Madness Challenge #3

Day three of October Madness, everyone! And I've already completed Britney's challenge for the day. Woohoo!
 


From Britney's blog:
Today's challenge involves poetry. Wait! Don't run away! (I almost did). It'll be fun. I promise. Poetry is a great way to stretch your writing skills. Just give it a try.

1. Grab a dictionary.
2. Randomly open up to a page and point at a word.
3. Repeat steps 1 & 2 two more times.
4. Take your 3 words and use them to create a haiku.

...For the purpose of this challenge, we're just using the most basic rules of a haiku: 3 lines. Line one has 5 syllables. Line two has seven. Line three has 5.


Pulling words at random from a dictionary and writing poetry? Scary. But it did turn out to be fun. The three words I randomly pointed my finger at were:

Mosaic – a picture made of small, usually colored pieces of inlaid stone, glass
Node – the part of a stem from which a leaf begins to grow, a connection or intersection
Intractable – hard to manage, unruly, stubborn

Here's what I came up with (hopefully I did this right):

Intractable clouds.
God’s mosaic, predawn sky,
A node to heaven


I liked the idea of unruly clouds at dawn serving as God's mosaic in the sky and the connection between earth and heaven. This challenge was a good stretch for me! What are your thoughts? Have you ever written haiku? No? Join October Madness and write one today :)

Image, "Local Boat in Bali"  courtesy of worradmu / FreeDigitalPhotos.net


4 comments:

  1. Wow! You got lucky :) I'm about to go do this and I'm a bit scared {Why did I choose this challenge?}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky indeed! And I promise I didn't cheat. At first, I wasn't sure about "node" but it worked perfectly. Thanks, everyone! And thanks, Britney, for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete